The first annual Edible Book Festival is coming to Glen Ellyn on Saturday, August 11. What is it you might ask? One definition is an “ event that unites bibliophiles, book artists, and food lovers to celebrate the ingestion of culture and its fulfilling nourishment.” Our scrumptious event is open to all ages with a GEPL library card.
The only rules are:
- All entries must be edible
- It must be related to books – A scene or character, pun on a title, a book-shaped creation, etc.
- Use your imagination. Here are some interesting ideas from other festivals (left to right: creations inspired by A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess, A Separate Peace by John Knowles, Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman):
The schedule is:
- 11 – Noon – Entries will be accepted, installed and photographed.
- Noon – 2 pm – Public viewing and voting for People’s Choice Award.
- 2 pm – Judges will award the prizes. Creations may be picked up after the prizes are awarded.
- Entries will not be eaten but refreshments will be served.
The prizes are $25 Chamber of Commerce gift certificates in the following categories:
- People’s Choice
- Best Looking
- Best Young Artist: K- 12
To enter, please fill out an entry form by Monday, August 6. You can find the form at gepl.org/ediblefestival or at any Information Desk at the Library.
If you love books, art and food, consider entering your edible masterpiece for fun and prizes.
-Ann, Programming Coordinator