Baseball is Coming!
By: Amy Waters, School Liaison
It may seem like baseball season just ended, however, at this writing, it’s been 78 long days since the Chicago Cubs won the World Series. I still get goosebumps saying that! But because this last season was so exciting for me, I am even more anxious for the new season to start.
Here’s a quick countdown to baseball as of January 19:
– 37 days until Chicago Cubs 1st Spring Training Game 2/25 split squad Oakland/@SF
– 37 days until Chicago White Sox 1st Spring Training Game 2/25 @ Dodgers
– 72 days until CWS 1st Regular Season Game 4/1 @ Brewers
– 73 days until Cubs 1st Regular Season Game 4/2 @ Cardinals
– 74 days until CWS Home Opener 4/3 vs. Tigers
– 81 days until Cubs Home Opener 4/10 vs. Dodgers
Some of you may have managed to get passes for the Cubs Convention to tide you over until the season starts. Or maybe you are making the trek to Mesa, AZ in February or March to catch some Spring Training. This year I’m taking my mom and daughter and we will be cheering on the Cubs and catching our first glimpse of some of the new players on the team.
If you’ll be home reading or listening to the latest sports news and just waiting until Opening Day, here are some things to help you pass the time:
- Go to the library and check out books on baseball: find the latest on your favorite teams at the baseball call number J796.357, your favorite players in the Biography section, or ask at the desk for help finding a fiction book, picturebook or movie about baseball. See a sampling below. While you’re at the library, be sure to check out the display cases. They are often filled with some great sports memorabilia collections.
- Follow local baseball news at the following websites for the Cubs, Sox or Kane County Cougars:
- Play Ball! Register to play baseball through the Glen Ellyn Park District. Look for Glen Ellyn Youth Baseball information here.
- Practice the words to Go, Cubs, Go!
Some titles to tide you over:
The Girl Who Threw Butterflies by Mick CochraneThe Toilet Paper Tigers by Gordon Koman
All You Can Be by Kerry WoodBaseball Skills: How to Play Like The Pro by Dave McMahon
Baseball Saved Us by Ken MochizukiDino-Baseball by Lisa Wheeler