Meeting Room Policy
The library’s first floor meeting rooms A and B are designed primarily to meet the operational needs of the library and offer accommodations for educational, informational, cultural, and civic functions of the Glen Ellyn Community.
The meeting rooms may not be used for private social functions, programs which are not suitable for the library’s physical facilities or which would interfere with the library’s normal operation, or programs or gatherings which present a clear and present danger to the welfare of the participants, attendees, library staff and members, and/or the community.
The library does not discriminate on the basis of the political or religious beliefs or on any other constitutionally or statutorily prohibited basis. The library does not advocate or endorse the viewpoints expressed during meetings or by meeting room users. Events taking place in the meeting room may not be closed to any person due to age, gender, race, religion, national origin, disabling condition, or any other legally protected category.
Use and Care of Facility
- Access to the Meeting Room is not permitted outside of normal library hours. Preparation and clean up time should be included in the reservation request.
- State law prohibits smoking or use of alcohol or illegal substances in public buildings. The Glen Ellyn Public Library is a smoke free campus; in accordance with the Library Policy (Facilities Use, IX-3, 2014) smoking is also prohibited on library grounds.
- Minors may use the meeting rooms only under direct and constant supervision of adults, who will assume full responsibility for activities and condition of the room.
- Nothing may be attached to the walls, ceiling, floor, furniture, equipment, or doors of the meeting room.
- Additional costs will be assessed if the room is left excessively littered or for any breakage, damage, or theft of library property.
- The library is not responsible for the loss of or damage to any equipment or material owned or rented by a group/organization meeting in the library.
- Due to liability and insurance regulations, all meetings must conclude no less than 15 minutes prior to library closing; all attendees must exit by library closing, or an additional charge of $25 will be assessed. Multiple violations of this shall result in revocation of library meeting room privileges.
- The library retains the right to monitor all meetings, programs, and events conducted on the premises.
- The library may relocate any scheduled meeting if circumstances warrant.
- Library staff must have free access to meeting rooms at all times.
- All meetings must be open to the public
- The library reserves the right to cancel any meeting due to attendance in excess of fire code regulations or in the event of a building or weather emergency.
- Groups may cancel their reservation; however, refunds will not be given for cancellations made within 24 hours of the meeting date.
Publicity and Sales
- In accordance with the Library Policy (Facilities Use, IX-3, 2014), no admission fees, sales, solicitations or fundraising is permitted within the library except for library sponsored events.
- In accordance with the Library Policy (Facilities Use, IX-3, 2014) no signs or flyers may be posted or distributed on library property except for library sponsored events.
- The name and contact information of the library may not be used in any publicity except as a designation of location.
Priority for use of the meeting rooms will be given in the following order:
- Glen Ellyn Public Library sponsored meetings or programs
- Meetings whose membership includes a Glen Ellyn library cardholder
- Meetings of groups whose membership does not have a Glen Ellyn library card
Violations of Policy
If any policy violations have occurred, the Meeting Room Coordinator, the Circulation Director, or Library Director will notify the person who reserved the room.
If a group or organization has been denied permission to use the meeting room, they may appeal the denial to the Library Board of Trustees at the Board’s next regularly scheduled meeting. However, written notice of said appeal and all written documentation supporting the appeal are to be delivered to the Library Director at least five business days before such Board meeting.
Review of Policy
The Board of Trustees of the Glen Ellyn Public Library will review the Meeting Room Policy periodically and reserves the right to amend them at any time.