GEPL began publishing suggestions & comments to their website in July of 2007. If you would like to read suggestions submitted to the library before July 2007, please contact the Library Director at dbussey[at]gepl[dot]org.
25. Please consider shelving all non-fiction DVD’s together instead of with the books.
Thank you for your suggestion. We have discussed this idea and have talked to a variety of library patrons and the majority like having these DVD’s by the books. This location often helps them to locate a book on the topic at the same time.
26. Please provide signed dated receipts for donations to the Friends of the Library.
The donation receipt supplied by the Glen Ellyn Public Library does include a date and a signature. I think you may be referring to the receipt proved by the Friends of the Glen Ellyn Public Library if you gave to their call for donations last Fall. I will pass this information on to the Friends group.
27. The person who developed the e-mail newsletter did a great job. Keep it up.
Thank you for your comment. We are happy you like our new e-mail newsletter and your compliment has been shared with the person responsible.
28. I had no idea Glen Ellyn Library charges for Videos, as we just moved here from Elmhurst where Videos are free, which also applies to Lombard and Wheaton. I was shocked to find Glen Ellyn charges for Videos.
Yes, the Glen Ellyn Public Library charges $1.00 to borrow an Entertainment Video/DVD for one week. The monies collected from this fee are used to purchase additional entertainment DVD’s for the collection.
November 2007 Suggestions
23. I would recommend going through much of your CD library and reclassify many of the artists. I find many classified by first name, others by last name. Please put them all by last name – it’s easier to find that way. Also, I found several that are classified in the wrong genre. It’s a wonder you can find much of what you want. Please correct these issues.
Thank you for your comments. Classifying some categories of music can be a difficult prospect; the genre of choice is sometimes a matter of personal opinion. Our selectors review where other libraries have placed genres that could be placed in more than one area and opt for the genre most frequently used. All of our CD’s by individual artists are classified by last name. Band names that contain a person’s name do get classified with the first three letters of the band name. If you find something that has been labeled incorrectly, please bring the item to our attention.
24. Where is the nativity scene?
This year incorporated into our holiday decorations we have included a holiday tree as a symbol of Christmas, a menorah as a symbol of Hanukkah and a kinara as a symbol of Kwanza.
Thank you for the Suggestions, if you have more please let us know.
October 2007 Suggestions
18. Library search engine is very goofy. Entered “Bungalow Bathroom” and found nothing. The book title ends in “s” but without typing it, the software found nothing. Search engines should return partial matches.
We agree, this is an issue we continue to bring to the attention of the catalog software developers. The developers are currently working on a new version of the software and we are hopeful this feature will be included.
19. ______ from the upstairs adult section was extremely kind and helpful. She showed me around, and looked for more books on the subject I needed and answered all my questions. Thank you very much ______.
Thank you for the wonderful compliment. This will be shared with the staff member.
20. I took my grandsons to your Lego train exhibit on October. 20 th ages (11 & 8). They both absolutely loved it. Even Grandma thought it was stunning! Thank you.
21. We really enjoyed the Lego train exhibit and hope you will have it again.
We are very happy that you enjoyed the Lego train display.
22. I would like to have a printed list of DVD titles available.
The current list of all DVD’s owned by GEPL is 114 pages long and growing every day. This list is accessible as a quick list selection on the library catalog website. We would be happy to show you how to print the list. Also, we have begun posting a monthly list of new DVD’s on the ends of the DVD shelving and we are printing and distributing a list of “Coming Soon” DVD titles. If you need help locating any of these lists, please let us know and we will be happy to assist you.
23. Please purchase the book titled “Spiritual Pearls”.
Thank you for your request for the book “Spiritual Pearls”. We are
pleased to inform you that the library already has a copy of this
title. We would be happy to place it on reserve for you.
24. [This is a three-part suggestion.]
You are doing a great job serving the community of Glen Ellyn.
I would like to request that you purchase software to help those in need of finding gluten free products and medications. This software would be very helpful to those who have a gluten allergy or sensitivity.
Also, I think you should not charge for movies, other libraries in the area like Wheaton, Elk Grove Village and others do not charge for movies.
First, thank you for the compliment.
Second, the library continues to update the book collection with titles regarding
food allergies and also subscribes to a magazine specifically for those
with food allergies (Living Without). At this time, we are unable to
purchase software for checkout because there can be issues with
copyright and licensing restrictions on CDRoms. The particular software
you have suggested is a one-time download that can only be loaded on one
computer, for one user. We are always exploring subscription databases
to offer to all patrons which can be used at home or in the library, and
will continue to look for a food allergy-related source. We do
currently subscribe to the “Health and Wellness Resource” which does
have current magazine and reference book information on food allergies.
You also may already be familiar with the free internet resource,
http://www.glutenfreeinfo.com/, which lists various gluten-free products.
Third, the revenues generated by charging for Feature Films are used to purchase more DVD’s.
September 2007 Suggestions
11. Please consider purchasing the title ”Being Muslim” by Haroon Siddiqui. It is rated very highly on Amazon.com and was a sell out when the author spoke at Faith Lutheran Church in Glen Ellyn.
Thank you for your comment. The library has previously purchased this title, however, it appears it has not been returned since having been checked out earlier this year. We will purchase a replacement copy.
12. This is the second time I have voiced concern about the patron elevator and the way it bounces on takeoff.
Your concern regarding the safety of the patron elevator is appreciated. The last time this issue was reported to the elevator repair company, no further adjustments could be made to prevent this bouncing. We will have them check it again. To help put your mind at ease, please be aware the elevator is regularly inspected by an elevator inspection company independent from the repair company and has been deemed safe for passenger transport.
13. Wonder if you are still marking books with spine labels that they are mysteries, sci-fi, etc. It seems to me that this is not happening and it takes a lot longer to scan the books if you are looking for certain books.
We are still placing the various genre stickers on books. If you are having difficulty locating materials, please let us know so that we may assist you in your search.
14. Why the Ramadan display? This is the week of Yom Kippur and there are no displays??? Also no displays for the season of Lent, Thanksgiving, etc.
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. The Ramadan display was created by an organization independent of the library and does not meet the Display and Exhibit Area Policy.
15. Have you ever thought of an aquarium for the youth services dept.? The children would love to look at the fish!
This idea has been considered. The care and maintenance of an aquarium is both time consuming and expensive and children are very disappointed when their favorite fish dies. At this time we will continue to concentrate on purchasing new materials and providing programming. Thank you.
16. I was thrilled to see that the computer room no longer has recessed monitors. They were terribly uncomfortable. Congrats, GE Library staff!! I will now be able to come up here and no longer need to utilize the Children’s Library downstairs.
We are so happy to hear that you like the change that has been made to the arrangement of the equipment in the Adult Computer area. Thank you for your comment.
17. The baby “jumpstart” room smells bad (musty). Carpet smells. Room looks great.
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. The maintenance staff have been notified and we will work to resolve the problem.
August 2007 Suggestions
3. I visit the library every week and often use the computers upstairs to do research for school. I recently found out that internet access had been removed from the upstairs computers. This is very annoying to me because I do not have internet access at home and my parents do not want me to be using the unfiltered computers in the computer room. I do not know what reasons caused you to disable the Internet but if it was possible to restore it to the upstairs computers I would really appreciate it. Thank you.
Thank you for your recent suggestion regarding the second floor research computers. These two research computers allow access to a wealth of information held in the research databases to which the library subscribes. These machines were never intended to be open internet computers. If you are having trouble finding information you need to complete your homework, please talk to the staff at the Adult desk, they will be happy to help you to find the information you need.
4. Eliminate automatic door on one side. Air is flowing out.
The pressurization and ventilation of the building are currently being studied. We will offer your suggestion to the mechanical engineer.
5. I suggest you have a service to deliver materials (books, CD’s, etc.) through the mail. This would offer the same convenience as places like Amazon. A (small) fee would be involved, of course, but I think this would increase the use made of your collection. You already have much of the infrastructure set up to do this. The success of Netflix suggests that this would work.
The investigation of a door to door delivery service is one of the items in our current strategic plan. Thank you for expressing an interest in this type of service and rest assured that we will be looking into this idea further.
6. I would like to ask the library board (or whoever makes the polices) to consider letting the sound be available on the Internet, when the patrons bring their own headsets. You can post notes saying humming/singing is not acceptable during Internet sessions; this will keep the room relatively quiet.
Thank you for your suggestion. This idea will be given to the Technology Committee for consideration.
7. Could you make a guest computer station where we can sit. I’m working in Glen Ellyn and I need to use the computer during lunch. I don’t have a Glen Ellyn Card, but I have a Franklin Park Card. Many computers are not be used when I’m here. Thank you.
Our Express or Guest stations are designed for brief 15 minute Internet sessions.
8. Please put automatic doors on the outside as you have on the inside. It would make the entrance for all-not just the handicapped. Then you would be as up to date as Mc Chesney & Miller nearby.
This design idea will be mentioned to the engineers currently studying the pressurization and ventilation of the building. Thank you for your suggestion.
9. The staff in the _____ area are not knowledgeable on program, computers, etc and appear to be easily frustrated by questions.
Your observations will be expressed to the Department Head responsible for that service area.
10. I would like to recommend that the library purchase Pregnancy & Childbirth Secrets by Gail J. Dahl. Thank you.
We have placed an order for this item; however, this title is currently out of stock with our vendor. Once the vendor supply is replenished our order should be filled.
July 2007 Suggestions
1. Why don’t we have benches outside at the entry? People could sit when waiting for the library to open. The only one was in the garden by the picnic table and it is gone! Where is the statue? The lightning rod coming down next to the entrance, safety??
We will consider adding benches by the front entrance in the next budget year. The statue that was located by the flagpole was vandalized beyond repair approximately one year ago. The lightning rod is secured to the building as it should be.
2. I would like the online new book listings to be further categorized instead of just fiction or nonfiction. I would like to see them broken into genres such as science fiction, etc. It would make finding new materials much easier.
The lists that you are referring to are part of our group/consortial catalog system that we share with eight other libraries. We will suggest this change to the consortia. Please feel free to ask staff for assistance locating and identifying new materials.
Thank you for the Suggestions, if you have more please let us know by emailing reference[at]gepl[dot]org. A library staff member will respond to all comments which include the correspondent’s contact information. Comments and responses are posted on the public bulletin board in the library vestibule and online. You may also contact us by mail, phone or fax at:
Glen Ellyn Public Library
400 Duane Street
Glen Ellyn, IL 60137