The Affordable Care Act
The Healthcare Marketplace is open November 1, 2016 through January 31, 2017.
- November 1: Open enrollment begins. Apply for, keep, or change your coverage.
- December 15: Last day to enroll for coverage to begin January 1.
- January 1: First date 2017 coverage can start.
- January 31: This is the last day you can apply for 2017 coverage before the end of Open Enrollment.
If You Enroll:
- Between the 1st and 15th of the month, your coverage starts the first day of the next month.
- Between the 16th and the last day of the month, your coverage starts the first day of the second following month. So if you enroll on March 16, your coverage starts on May 1.
You may buy Marketplace Insurance outside Open Enrollment only if you qualify for a special enrollment period (SEP) due to a qualifying life event such as marriage, birth or adoption of a child, or loss of other health coverage. Learn more about how you qualify for a special enrollment period at Your Options Outside Open Enrollment.
Small businesses may get information by visiting SHOP Marketplace.
Prepare to Apply
To apply for coverage you may need to have the following items available:
- Driver’s License or state ID
- Income verification including W-2s, unemployment, Social Security, and/or pay stubs
- Social Security numbers for you and anyone else who will be included in your coverage