GEPL Teen Scene Art Contest
January 1, 2018 through February 11, 2018
Rules and Guidelines
The purpose of the Glen Ellyn Public Library Teen Scene Art Contest is to encourage and celebrate high school artists and display photos of the winning pieces in the high school room. Nine high-quality 11×17 photographs of the winning entries will be framed and decorate the walls of the high school room on the second floor of the library.
Glen Ellyn residents in high school, all students at Glenbard West or Glenbard South, and homeschooled students between the ages 14 through 18 who reside in Glen Ellyn are eligible to enter. Immediate relatives of judges are ineligible. Valid identification (school, state, or otherwise) may be requested by the library to prove eligibility.
All types of visual artwork are eligible for the contest. One item per artist may be submitted. Items must be the artist’s original work. To enter, complete both steps one and two below.
- Complete the online form between January 1, 2018 and February 11, 2018. This includes submitting two digital photo attachments: a digital photo of the item by itself, and a digital photo of the artist with the item.
- Digital photos must be high quality, at least 300 dpi resolution, and can be files .ai, .eps, .jpg, .png, or .psd. It’s best to use a true digital camera, as photos taken with smartphones produce lower quality results. If artists need assistance taking photos, please contact Young Adult Librarian Josh O’Shea at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 630-790-6748.
- The file name of the item should be “artist’s last name-title” (for example, oshea-crow.jpg), and the file name of the artist and item should be “artist’s last name-title-together” (oshea-crow-together.jpg).
- Deliver the art item to the Second Floor Information Desk between January 1, 2018 and February 11, 2018. Some art teachers may want to deliver items in groups, so talk with your art teacher about delivery. It is the artist’s responsibility to deliver his or her item.
By submitting an art piece to the contest, artists allow the library to display the art item and its likeness for publicity and marketing purposes. All submissions (forms and items) must be received by the library by February 11, 2018 to be included in the contest.
Judges are members of the local art community and will select the winners after examination and discussion. Final winners will be selected per the judge’s rankings. Judging criteria emphasizes uniqueness of thought, technical competence, composition, and aesthetic appeal. The three categories are:
- Digital/film photography or graphic art
- Ceramics or sculpture
- Painting or drawing
The library invites all artists to a reception from 2-3:30 pm on February 25, 2018 (the fourth Sunday of February) at the Glen Ellyn Public Library. All submissions will be displayed in their original form for family, friends, judges, and community members to see. To further celebrate our local high school artists, a slideshow of the art items individually and of artists with their items will play throughout the reception. All artists are encouraged to attend with their friends and family. Attendance is not required for art to be displayed or chosen as a winner. Artists may take home their work after the reception.
Artists may leave their artwork at the library for inclusion in the March Artist of the Month display. The library will display as many items as possible on and along the Gallery Wall for the month of March. Artists are encouraged to retrieve their items after the March display, beginning the first Monday in April. Library staff make the final decision on appropriate display items. Items will be discarded after May 1, 2018.
Nine artists will win! Each category will have a first, second, and third place winner. All nine art items will be displayed with the artist’s name and item title in the high school room via print copy (which are the library’s property) and on the GEPL Teen Scene Art Contest webpage. Winners will be announced via The Teen Scene’s Instagram and Twitter accounts, as well as on the GEPL Teen Scene Art Contest webpage. All nine winners will receive a Blick Art Materials gift card: $50 to first place winners, $20 to second and third place winners. Winners will be announced March 16, 2018. Decisions are final. Library staff will contact the winners for prize retrieval. Prizes will be discarded after May 1, 2018.
|Item and Prize Pickup Deadline||05/01/2018|
Josh O’Shea, Young Adult Librarian
Text @GEPLHS to 81010 to get updates on library events for high schoolers.