Suggestions and Comments
The library welcomes member suggestions, comments, and ideas for improvements and, where possible and practical, makes adjustments.
Please email additional remarks to reference followed by @gepl.org. A library staff member will respond to all comments that include the correspondent’s contact information. Comments and responses are also posted in the lobby of the library.
927. The help from staff was very pleasant, informative and really nice. Need more staff members at other libraries like this, really enjoyed my experience today. Thank you.
Thank you for the lovely compliment. We hope to see you again soon.
928. Get Callous Disregard by Andrew Wakefield.
This title is available through our catalog in print or e-book formats. Please see a staff member for assistance.
929. I pay taxes in Glen Ellyn but use the Wheaton Library for business work. They have thought out their space.
Why a small round table at the Xerox machine? How about a work size? I’m disabled and it is so easy for my things to drop on the floor you are not thinking of the user.
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. The small round table has been removed and a larger rectangular table has been put in its place.
No written suggestions were placed in the drop boxes during the month of May 2021.
924. We would love more suggestions on how to lead conversations around the book/topic, in general. Also, as a homeschooling family, we have enjoyed Woke Homeschooling, Oh Freedom! Curriculum very much. Maybe you can “CHECK IT OUT!” Also, we would like to see a Let’s Talk kit on the topic of LGBTQ.
Thank you for your feedback. We will be adding a Let’s Talk PlayPack on the topic of LGBTQ soon.
925. Get more manga.
Thank you for your suggestion. Do you have particular titles or a series you would like us to add?
926. _____ has been a very valuable resource for my MBA program and real-life business needs. Great databases here at GEPL. Thanks for all you do to help!
Thank you for the lovely compliments. Your appreciation will be shared with the employee and their supervisor.
918. I love the Library!
That’s great- thank you for letting us know!
919. The Library is beautiful and clean. 🙂
We are so happy to hear you like it!
920. Nice library! Thank you!
921. I love the food!
That’s awesome to hear!
922. I am a kid and have been coming ever since I was born. The books are amazing. Thank you to all the amazing staff who have been here for years. You guys make dreams come true.
Thank you for the kind words. Your comment makes us smile!
923. Huge assets to library staff. Thanks to _____ for helping me GREATLY with my business resource inquiries. _____ walked me through step-by–step. And a very special thank you to _____ who coached me over the phone and helped me when I arrived at the Library from Chicago. _____ is a big asset to the staff.
We are so happy to have provided you with a great customer service experience!! Your compliments will be shared with both staff members at their supervisor.
913. Thank you! I love that this resource exists! (“Let’s Talk Race” – Board Book kits.) I assume you have something like this for every age group? A small note but would love to see Black authors listed before White Fragility. Also, tolernace.org is now learningforjustice.org. I would like to see other Let’s Talk topics on bodies, sex, development. Probably controversial for this community but age-appropriate resources to help parents facilitate conversations about consent and sex positive concepts.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. We have “Let’s Talk Race” kits for children of all ages. We are also working on something like it for high school students and adults. Your suggestions will be shared with the staff responsible.
914. The staff here is absolutely terrific! _____, _____,_____,_____, have been accommodating with helping me find either resources or quiet areas to perform research. This library should take pride in helping students who are starved of resources and for accommodations. I’ve attended more than 12 libraries and this is by far the best one. The café is incredible as well- really appreciate the creativity and quality.
Thank you for the lovely compliments! They will be shared with the staff and their supervisors.
915. I love the library and the snack bar.
That is wonderful, thank you for letting us know!
916. Thank you library for all your wonderful books!
We are happy you are enjoying our print book collection!
917. Thank you library for the books.
Thank you for your comment!
911. I would appreciate the Library having – and displaying conservative newspapers – e.g. “the Epoch Times” in equal numbers to those already on display – the “New York Times”, “Wall Street Journal”, “Chicago Tribune”, “Daily Herald”, “U.S.A. Today”, “Chicago Suntimes”. Please research and consider.
Thank you for your suggestion. We continuously monitor media bias and work to have a variety of resources available. You might like to take a look at this interactive media bias chart to see where the various titles we have are categorized. Interactive Media Bias Chart – 2 – Ad Fontes Media The editorial boards of the Wall Street Journal, Chicago Tribune, and Daily Herald are commonly thought to offer a conservative viewpoint, and frequently endorse conservative candidates for office. We also offer an electronic database, called Proquest Global Newsstream, which offers current and back issues of more than 3,100 state, regional, national, and international newspapers, including the Chicago Tribune, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and more. We have investigated subscribing to The Epoch Times and have determined that it does not meet our standards for titles of broad, general appeal over highly specialized publications, as noted in our collection development policy.
912. Just wanted to say ___ and ___ from the café ROCK! Thank you for all the amazing drinks and treats. Everything is amazing!
Thank you for the lovely compliment. It will be shared with the staff and their supervisor!
907. The prerecorded “commercials” re: wearing a mask in multiple languages is annoying. We come to the library to enjoy being in a quiet place and now we have to hear overly loud messages as if we all don’t know after almost 9 months that we have to wear a mask and that there is a virus.
Unfortunately, we do still have people visit the library without a mask or not wearing their mask properly. The recorded message is set to run once an hour, so during a 60-minute Grab and Go visit you should only hear the recording one time. If you notice it is playing more frequently than once an hour, please notify a staff person.
908. I love the American Girl dolls!!
That’s great!! Thank you for letting us know.
909. Just a little thank you for your support of the LWVGE February 100th Anniversary Display. Also, supporting us ALL year in the community!!
Thank you for assisting us to spread the word about the importance of completing the 2020 census.
910. The bias against Trump is exceedingly tiring. To come to the library and see it on display here is absolutely intolerable. Keep your politics out of the library. All those “non-fiction” displays are never Trumper placements.
Our collections include books, magazines, newspapers and movies for everyone. Our monthly non-fiction displays for November and December were Cooking for the Holidays and Travel narratives. And January “non-fiction displays” include Comfort Foods, New Year’s Resolutions and the Best of 2020. Perhaps you are referencing the Hot Picks titles at the top of the stairs. Those are all titles from the New York Times Bestseller list. Or maybe it is the In the News display where we put out books about people, places and things that are in the news to which you are referring. If there is a particular title or titles you are unable to find in our collection, please let us know. It is our job to provide access to all thoughts and ideas.
- I like your library! I like books.
Thank you very much for your kind words. We like books too!!
- Why don’t you have the TV series The West Wing?!
We will investigate this.
903. _____ is amazing! They scheduled a wonderful book giveaway for our D41 schools on a Saturday. We greatly appreciate GEPL and _____!
Thank you for the lovely compliment! We are so happy you enjoyed the book giveaway. Your comment will be shared with the staff member and their supervisor.
904. I just checked out a bunch of baby board books in a bag. It would be really helpful if there was a small table next to each self-check out machine for those items when patrons have a lot of materials.
Thank you for your feedback. The plexiglass area to the left of the self-check scanner bed is meant to serve the purpose of a table or surface on which to place the multiple items you are checking out.
900. The morning Saturday hours are missed.
Starting Saturday, November 7, Saturday hours will be 10 am – 2 pm and Sunday hours will be 1-5pm.
901. Many cars don’t stop for people at the crosswalk. Perhaps a sign would help.
Illinois Vehicle Code clearly states Pedestrians’ right-of-way at crosswalks.
(a) When traffic control signals are not in place or not in operation the driver of a vehicle shall stop and yield the right-of-way to a pedestrian crossing the roadway within a crosswalk when the pedestrian is upon the half of the roadway upon which the vehicle is traveling, or when the pedestrian is approaching so closely from the opposite half of the roadway as to be in danger.
902. My family and I are very excited to see the library open for drive-thru services and to “grab and go.” We would like to say sincerely thank you! Also, staff at the café are amazing! We’re excited to see the new offerings every week. We’re happy to see so many innovative menu items, as well.
We also would like to thank Library Services and the adult librarians for sitting at their service areas and assisting patrons. When the library opened, we received a very pleasant and bubbly welcome back. The Glen Ellyn Library is certainly a pillar in our community that we would like to see flourish and grow through these troubling and hard times.
We would also like to make a few suggestions:
Add morning and early afternoon hours to Saturday and Sunday (perhaps close earlier?) There were no cars in lot as we drove by from dinner Saturday at 5pm. It’s hard waiting around until 2pm. Seems like an odd time to open.
Starting Saturday, November 7, Saturday hours will be 10 am – 2 pm and Sunday hours will be 1-5pm.
With the removed seating, can we use the empty spaces for something? Display of some kind? Just a thought. I know you do not want people to congregate.
We will not be placing displays in the open area of the 2nd floor. We are using that space to hold Library Board meetings and the Friends of the Library will use it for their annual letter stuffing project. We will put all library furniture back in place once it is safe to do so.
There is a strong chemical smell from all the cleaning. Smells like burnt rubber. Can something else be used? When I leave the library, I smell it in my skin.
We are using and will continue to use the recommended diluted bleach solution, disinfectant wipes and Lysol to clean surfaces. The “burnt rubber” smell you have experienced is likely coming from outdoors. We are running at 100% outside air with no recirculation of air as recommended by COVID-19 guidelines.
899. You all are doing a wonderful job, thanks for keeping the library open.
You are very welcome – thank you for taking the time to let us know!