In January 2021, Glen Ellyn Public Library and the Village of Glen Ellyn initiated the Glen Ellyn DEI Project to help the community devise a collective strategy to enhance DEI in the Village of Glen Ellyn in ways that are integrative, holistic, sustainable, and enduring.
Interested community members can learn more about the January sessions by
- Reading the DEI Initiative Overview of Findings that summarizes the common themes, strengths, challenges, and action items from the conversations
- Watching a seven-minute Glen Ellyn DEI Project Summary video that highlights themes in some of the participants’ own words
- Watching the full recordings of the Glen Ellyn DEI Project sessions and panels .
In the next phase of our DEI journey, we will re-establish the Village of Glen Ellyn Community Relations Commission to continue the discussion of diversity, equity, and inclusion in Glen Ellyn. The Community Relations Commission will include community members and representatives from the Village of Glen Ellyn, Glen Ellyn Public Library, College of DuPage, Glen Ellyn Park District, Glen Ellyn School District 41, Glenbard Township High School District 87, and Community Consolidated District 89, and will consider the action items outlined in the full Discovery Report and advise the Village of Glen Ellyn Board of Trustees.
Please contact Library Director Dawn Bussey at firstname.lastname@example.org or 630-790-6760 with any questions.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Resources
- UNESCO Universal Declaration on Cultural Diversity
- The Benefits of Inclusion by Erin Aguilar, Inclusion Specialist for Easter Seals Blake Foundation
- Types of Diversity in the Workplace You Need to Know: A guide to 34 unique diversity characteristics.
- Definition for Diversity from Queensboro Community College
- Diversity wins: How inclusion matters
- Why Diversity Programs Fail: And what works better from Harvard Business Review
- The Necessity of Equity from University of Minnesota
- A Blueprint to Help Communities Promote Equity from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Goals from Disability Rights Washington
- Equity vs. Equality: What’s the Difference? from Milken Institute School of Public Health
- A Lesson on Critical Race Theory from American Bar Association
- ‘We Can And Should Teach This History’: New Bills Limit How Teachers Talk About Race
heard on All Things Considered
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion for Adults reading list
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion for Youth reading list