The library welcomes member suggestions, comments, and ideas for improvements and, where possible and practical, makes adjustments.
Please email additional remarks to reference followed by @gepl.org. A library staff member will respond to all comments that include the correspondent’s contact information. Comments and responses are also posted in the lobby of the library.
965. We are visiting after 8 years and pleasantly surprised to see a remodeled library. New technology and a café, but still the same old Village of Glen Ellyn charm. Keep it up, this is so nice to see!
Thank you for the lovely compliment!!
959. Great Place, Good People, Very Clean, need to get some plants in the window.
960. Great Place, Very Clean, Nice People, for staff and café.
961. I love this library sooo much it’s a great place. All the staff are so nice.
962. Great job on the café! The food is really yummy! How about putting some plants under the stairway? Otherwise, don’t change a thing!
963. Would be great to have some life plants along the windows edge.
964. Good people. Great cafeteria. Clean, very friendly. Excellent!
Thank you for all the lovely compliments! We really appreciate hearing from each of you.
While the window ledge may seem like a wonderful place for live plants, our plant service advises against this location because the radiant heater is located right below the wooden ledge. Under the stairs does seem like lost space indeed, but this space can only be accessed by climbing over the wall by the café seating or climbing over the stairwell railing at the bottom of the stairs making it exceedingly difficult to utilize. We are going to ask our plant service if live plants could go in that space. Again, thank you for the wonderful compliments!
955. I am disappointed that the Gluten magazine is no longer available. If a similar magazine is published, I’d like the library to subscribe. Thank you.
Good news! Simply Gluten Free is in print and available through our vendor. We have placed an order for it. Please be aware, it usually takes two or three months for the first issue to arrive.
956. DVD section – Smokey and the Bandit located under musicals? Come on – just alphabetize the movies.
Agreed musicals would be a very unusual category for that title. We have it classified as a classic.
Smokey and the Bandit Glen Ellyn Public Library – Adult DVD Feature Film CLASSICS S (SET) On Shelf
957. I love the Used Book Nook. Can you add a section of Large Print books? Or do you not have any? Please label on the shelf if you have any. Thank you so much!
We are happy to hear you like the used book sale area! This is made possible by the Friends of the Library. They do not receive very many large print book donations. You could visit their basement sale and ask if they currently have any large print titles. The next basement sale will take place Saturday, March 19, 2022 9:00 am to 2:00 pm and Sunday, March 20, 2022 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm.
958. ____ is fantastic! So enthusiastic and fun an every program. Thank you!! Definitely a person in a worthy position to mentor and work with youths!
Thank you for the lovely compliment. It will be shared with the staff member and their supervisor.
951. The DVD section is a mess! There should only be three sections: fiction, non-fiction and TV series. The movie Tully is not a musical and the Front is not a comedy.
We switched to browsable categories like comedy, and drama many years ago at the request of our members. Often movies can fit in more than one category. Please know that you can always check the catalog for a specific title to learn which category it is filed under or ask a staff member to assist you.
952. ____ on the 2nd floor is a true super heroine. Kind, caring, thoughtful, clear, and generous of spirit. It’s rare for someone to go out of their way so often and naturally. Please buy them ice cream and give them a raise.
Thank you for the lovely compliment! This will be shared with the staff member and their supervisor.
953. ___ was very helpful and understanding and kind to me and my friends. They deserve a raise.
We are so happy that you were pleased with the service provided! Your compliment will be shared with the staff member and their supervisor.
954. I love this library so much! We will be moving soon, but we will be coming back as often as we can. I especially would like to thank ____ for being so nice to kids and parents, always so helpful and always with a good attitude. Please give them a bonus or a raise because they deserve it like no other.
Your kind words mean a lot to us! Your comments will be shared with the staff member and their supervisor.
947. Maybe try to add the whole Tokyo Ghoul series.
We will take this into consideration. In the meantime, we can request other titles in the series from other libraries for you, just ask for help at a service desk.
948. This place is goated.
Thank you, we think it is pretty great too!
949. _____ was super helpful and really a pleasure to meet. Did a great job helping me.
Thank you for the compliment. It will be shared with the staff member and their supervisor.
950. ____is wonderful and friendly. We love coming to the Glen Ellyn Library Café! The food is amazing. My child loves the hot chocolate, and I enjoy the Rick Riordan sandwich. Staff are accommodating if we want the bread replaced with another kind. Thank you for having this café and friendly staff available for us.
Thank you! We are so glad you and your child are enjoying the café. Your compliment will be shared with the staff and their supervisor.
943. _______ at the food area is so super nice!!
Thank you, we will share this with the staff member and their supervisor!
944. LOVE the books here!
That is GREAT- thanks for letting us know.
945. Your reference librarians are top notch and true professionals. They are kind and patient teaching their patrons how to image print and even showed me how to update my settings on my iPhone. : ) Special thanks to ________, _________, and ________.
We are happy to help!!. Your lovely compliment will be shared with these staff members and their supervisor.
946. You should add Haiku!! To the graphic novel section.
Thank you for the suggestion. We can get it from another library for you just ask us to place a hold on it. We will also consider adding it to our collection.
934. Dear Glen Ellyn Public Library, I like graphic novels, mysteries and history. I am reading Trapped and Diary of a Wimpy Kid. If you take requests, I would like you to get more graphic novels and Diary of a Wimpy Kid.
Thank you for your suggestion. We continuously add new graphic novels, and we strive to provide 6-7 copies of each Diary of a Wimpy Kid book. The 2021 title Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Big Shot is on order. These books are so popular that all copies or many copies may be checked out when you are looking for them. Please ask a staff member for help if you can not find a copy. They will help you place a hold on the book you are looking to checkout.
935. Dear Glen Ellyn Librarian, I am a grandmother. I am here with my granddaughters. This is a wonderful library. My favorite book as a kid was The Secret Garden.
Thank you for visiting and bringing your granddaughters!
936. Please get 1 or 2 DVD players that will play Blue Ray DVDs.
We have placed an order and will make them available for circulation once they arrive.
937. Your Librarian and Clerk were very kind! I enjoy your café very much. You have very good food.
Thank you for the compliment!
938. Very clean, very polite cashier at the café! Very knowledgeable Librarian at the front counter.
Thank you for the compliment!
939. My favorite book here is Dogman.
Thank you for letting us know your favorite book and for the smiley face you drew on your comment sheet!
940. Is it possible for those people doing the drilling to do it when the Library is closed; it’s disturbing this afternoon while I’m here trying to work on a classroom paper; and this loud drilling has been going on for at least an hour.
We are sorry this noise was disturbing you. We work very hard to perform as many maintenance tasks as possible before the library opens and after the library closes. Currently we are having some restrooms on the 3rd floor remodeled, and this work is being performed by outside contractors. Restricting outside contractors to only working before the library opens or after the library closes would require them to work outside of “normal working hours” and would require that we pay significantly more to have this work completed.
941. Library staff were very helpful with my computer questions today! I was researching my real estate options and wanted some color printouts from the computer. Thanks!
So glad you had a pleasant experience!
942. Please put a shelf in the restrooms upon which we may place personal items. I don’t want to put my purse, phone etc. on the floor. Your restrooms are in this respect very unfriendly and unhelpful.
Thank you for your feedback. Let us review the restrooms and see what we could provide.
930. Make a satellite library on Roosevelt Road possibly with Wheaton and Milton Township. Can offer social services, mini food pantry, music practice space, etc. To better serve the clientele who live by Roosevelt Road and do not have a car, primarily minorities and elderly who are presently underserved, it appears.
Thank you for your suggestion. This is an idea we have been working on for many years. We have determined owning or leasing another facility ourselves for the soul purpose of a library is not cost effective. We have had conversations with District 89 about using space in their administrative building or one of their other buildings and that did not work out. Recently, we worked with District 89 and the Village to have a line included in the most recent Village Comprehensive plan stating the need for a shared space for a joint early literacy/library shared space located south of Roosevelt Road. In the meantime, we are researching installing a set of remote pickup lockers that would be located south of Roosevelt Road, so we could make library materials more easily accessible to people living in that area.
931. Provide blueblocker eyeglasses safety glasses that can be worn when using the computer to protect eyes.
Thank you for your suggestion. Looking into this we learned the following: The American Academy of Ophthalmology says you don’t need them and has gone on record as not recommending any kind of special eyewear for computer users. The organization says blue light from digital devices does not lead to eye disease and doesn’t even cause eyestrain. Pandemic Screen Time: Will Blue Light Glasses Help? (webmd.com)
932. Provide occasional pet therapy at the library, separately for children/adults to provide access to different types of animals to underserved etc.
Over the years we have done different programs with therapy dogs and another program with cats. Some for children, some for high schoolers and some for all ages. We will revisit doing something again.
933. My grandson and I love the STEM kits! Please continue doing them. (He’s almost 5)
We are so glad you have enjoyed these take home kits. We are reviewing how many we will provide going forward from the pandemic. Keep an eye out for our new STEAM kits coming soon. You will check these out in a large plastic tub and return them to us when you are finished. They will be more involved than the STEM kits have been and should provide hours of learning and fun!
934. I am a regular patron of the library, and I am so appreciative of the beautiful facility, resources and staff. I would like to offer my opinion, however, regarding mask wearing- especially in a huge empty building. Most stores and other places in the area have optional use of masks can’t we be a little more reasonable? Thank you.
This message was written on August 14, 2021, at which time we were following the guidance provided to us by the DuPage County Health Department that masks should be worn by everyone over 2 years old when indoors even those who were vaccinated. Since then, Governor Pritzker has put a statewide mask mandate in place which began August 30, 2021, stating everyone over 2 years old shall wear a mask when indoors.
935. Please add Blackout by Candace Owens.
We have this title both in audio and print versions. Please ask a staff member to assist you in finding it.
930. Very clean, very nice library! All librarians are very helpful.
Thank you for the lovely compliment!
931. The Library temperature setting is very cold. Setting a higher temperature will be better for the environment by saving on cooling costs.
932. I love our Library! But it’s freezing, can’t we get some heat?
Thank you for sharing your thoughts regarding our interior temperature. The building is 52,000 square feet with approximately 40,000 occupied by people, spread over four floors. Our lovely windows although tinted still allow heat gain throughout the space as does computer equipment and people. We aim to keep the building at 72 degrees in both the summer and the winter. This morning the average internal temperature of all floors is 71.43 degrees. Later in the day the internal temperature will rise as the doors open and close and more people gather and use equipment. Finding a perfect temperature for everyone is extremely difficult. The U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA ) recommends a temperature range from >60 to 76 degrees. We strive for the upper portion of that range with our target internal average temperature of 72. If you are feeling chilled when you visit, please try changing your location. It is warmer near the windows due to heat gain from the sun.
933. Our book club is indebted to _____ for being so helpful and dependable. It’s such a pleasure to work with them!
Thank you for the lovely compliment. It will be shared with the staff member and their supervisor.
934. You need to consider revisiting this DVD arrangement by subject, as it is sometimes difficult to know if a particular movie is a comedy, musical, drama or suspense. I prefer alphabetical.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We have done this both ways over the years and have learned that most of our members prefer the movies grouped by subject. Please feel free to ask staff to assist you. Each title can be looked up in the catalog to check which subject area it is in as well as if we have a copy available currently.
927. The help from staff was very pleasant, informative and really nice. Need more staff members at other libraries like this, really enjoyed my experience today. Thank you.
Thank you for the lovely compliment. We hope to see you again soon.
928. Get Callous Disregard by Andrew Wakefield.
This title is available through our catalog in print or e-book formats. Please see a staff member for assistance.
929. I pay taxes in Glen Ellyn but use the Wheaton Library for business work. They have thought out their space.
Why a small round table at the Xerox machine? How about a work size? I’m disabled and it is so easy for my things to drop on the floor you are not thinking of the user.
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. The small round table has been removed and a larger rectangular table has been put in its place.
No written suggestions were placed in the drop boxes during the month of May 2021.
924. We would love more suggestions on how to lead conversations around the book/topic, in general. Also, as a homeschooling family, we have enjoyed Woke Homeschooling, Oh Freedom! Curriculum very much. Maybe you can “CHECK IT OUT!” Also, we would like to see a Let’s Talk kit on the topic of LGBTQ.
Thank you for your feedback. We will be adding a Let’s Talk PlayPack on the topic of LGBTQ soon.
925. Get more manga.
Thank you for your suggestion. Do you have particular titles or a series you would like us to add?
926. _____ has been a very valuable resource for my MBA program and real-life business needs. Great databases here at GEPL. Thanks for all you do to help!
Thank you for the lovely compliments. Your appreciation will be shared with the employee and their supervisor.
918. I love the Library!
That’s great- thank you for letting us know!
919. The Library is beautiful and clean. 🙂
We are so happy to hear you like it!
920. Nice library! Thank you!
921. I love the food!
That’s awesome to hear!
922. I am a kid and have been coming ever since I was born. The books are amazing. Thank you to all the amazing staff who have been here for years. You guys make dreams come true.
Thank you for the kind words. Your comment makes us smile!
923. Huge assets to library staff. Thanks to _____ for helping me GREATLY with my business resource inquiries. _____ walked me through step-by–step. And a very special thank you to _____ who coached me over the phone and helped me when I arrived at the Library from Chicago. _____ is a big asset to the staff.
We are so happy to have provided you with a great customer service experience!! Your compliments will be shared with both staff members at their supervisor.