Local Business Support
Everyone knows that starting and running a small business is tough. Between competition in the marketplace, competition from online retailers, and tech-savvy young consumers, keeping a local brick and mortar store open is an uphill battle. The library can help you develop your web presence through Google, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, and LinkedIn; or learn how to use social media tools to track local trends, tune in to consumer issues, and gain community perspective.
Resources at the Library
- GEPL Business Library Card – Access one-of-a-kind digital and print resources for business owners, including marketing research databases, business plans, industry journals, business ebooks and audiobooks, and much more, from your home or office. Check out hard copy magazines of Entrepreneur, Harvard Business Review, Smart Money, and Crain’s Chicago Business to stay abreast of general business news and trends. Browse the library catalog for books (and ebooks and audiobooks) on taxes, business management, marketing, human resources, and much more.
- Shakespeare Room – Perfect for small business meetings or conferences. The room holds five to ten people around a large conference table with Smart TV and HDMI connections. GEPL members can reserve the Shakespeare Room in advance at the 2nd Floor Information Desk.
- Digital Media Lab – An excellent recording studio, with high-quality speakers and wall panel sound diffusers. Edit your audio and video recordings with a host of professional editing software, including Adobe CS6 and Final Cut Pro. There’s even a mini-lighting studio you can set up to take quality pictures of your products.
- Business One-on-One – You can request a one-on-one visit from a librarian to your place of business, where you can get hands-on instruction on how to use the library’s catalog and online resources, or get answers to your technology questions. Contact our Business Liaison for more information. She can instruct a group on the physical and online resources available to business owners or provide one-on-one instruction, whether at the library or at your business.
Resources in the Community
- Business Development Center – provides programming, customized advising, and training
- Alliance of Downtown Glen Ellyn – works with the downtown Glen Ellyn retail community to market and promote the area as a destination for shoppers and diners
- Innovation DuPage – works with entrepreneurs and growing businesses to transform good ideas into strong businesses, strong businesses into winning brands, and winning brands into a collaborative community
- Glen Ellyn Chamber of Commerce – provides networking, education, marketing, community involvement, and partnership opportunities to members
- Village of Glen Ellyn Economic Development – provides Glen Ellyn-specific information about opening a new business, expanding or relocating an existing business, and developing business property
- City of Chicago Small Business Center
- Fox Valley SCORE
- Small Business Administration’s Resource Guide – National Edition – Winter 2019
- Women’s Business Development Center
Help the Glen Ellyn Public Library Better Serve You!
Please take a few minutes to fill out our Small Business Needs Assessment Survey.