Spreading Our Wings with SWAN
Coming May 1, 2018
It means the library will grow from being part of a group of just 8 libraries to a member of 97 libraries in the Chicagoland area.
The Glen Ellyn Public Library’s catalog will grow 7x larger with the transition. And that means access to more books, audiobooks, movies, TV shows, and music for our members. The expanded catalog provides access to materials in more than 200 languages, including Spanish, Polish, Japanese, Arabic, and Latin.
Your Glen Ellyn library card will work at any of the 97 SWAN library locations.
We’re working hard to make this transition as seamless as possible for members. More information will be released as we move closer to the migration date.
What You Need to Know
What does this migration mean for you?
- A larger catalog means access to more of what you love
- Gain access to member library’s special collections
- Titles are now available in 226 languages
- GEPL will offer automatic renewals on eligible items
- The catalog will be more mobile-friendly
- New notification choices to manage your account online
Will your PIN change?
Yes, your PIN will change IF your PIN is not numeric. Your new PIN will be the last 4 digits of your phone number on record. If you do not have a phone number listed on your account, please speak to a staff member for assistance. Once the migration is complete, you can request a new PIN if you have an email address associated with your account. If your PIN is numeric, it should transfer exactly as is.
Can you still use Shoutbomb?
The SWAN consortium does not support Shoutbomb, so it will no longer be offered as a service. Instead, notification preferences for bills, overdue items, and hold pickups can be managed through the library catalog.
How can you prepare for the switch?
You can help the library by ensuring your account information is up-to-date prior to April 28. If you would like to keep your reading lists, go to My Lists and email or print all the lists you wish to save.
What to Expect During the Transition
April 16 – May 1
- As we make this transition, you will not see new material on the shelves
- There will be a delay in seeing the new Best Sellers on the shelves
- You WILL NOT be able to place an interlibrary loan
April 28 – May 1
- You CAN check out materials, but you won’t see the checkouts in My Account
- You CAN search for materials via the catalog
- You CAN pick up a hold, if notified
- You CAN access e-resources
- You WILL NOT be able to place any new holds
- You WILL NOT see availability of items in the catalog
- You WILL NOT be able to log in to My Account
- You WILL NOT be able to renew items.