GEPL Teen Art Contest
November 1, 2018 through February 3, 2019
Do you have artwork you’d like to show off? The library is the place to do it! Read below for more information, and join the fun!
Encourage and celebrate high school-age artists. Showcase submitted artworks at an art show and display photos of the 2019 winning pieces in the High School Room.
All types of visual artwork are eligible for the contest. Artist must be age 14 to 21 and either a Glen Ellyn resident or a student at Glenbard West or Glenbard South High School and cannot be the immediate relative of a contest judge. GEPL may request a student ID or proof of residency to verify eligibility.
Artists may submit one original work in each of the following categories.
- digital/film photography or graphic art
- ceramics or sculpture
- painting or drawing
- mixed media, collage, other
- Complete the online form and submit a digital photo of the artwork between Thursday, November 1, 2018 and Sunday, February 3, 2019.
- Please name your artwork image file artist’s last name “-” artwork title. For example, smith-bluesky.jpg or jones-untitled1.png.
- Digital photo must be high quality, at least 300 dpi resolution, in .ai, .eps, .jpg, .png, or .psd format. It is best to use a true digital camera, as photos taken with smartphones produce lower quality results. For assistance taking your photo, please contact Young Adult Librarian Josh O’Shea at email@example.com or at 630-790-6748.
- Deliver the artwork to the Second Floor Information Desk between January 27 and February 9, 2019. Items may be delivered in groups, but it is the artist’s responsibility to ensure that their item is delivered.
Entry into the contest implies artists’ permission for the GEPL to display the artwork and its likeness for publicity and marketing purposes. Entry forms and artworks must be received by the library by February 9, 2019 to be included in the contest.
Judges are members of the local art community and will select the winners after examination and discussion. Judging criteria emphasizes uniqueness of thought, technical competence, composition, and aesthetic appeal.
Each artist may win only one category each year.
Each judge and the Young Adult Librarian will select a favorite item to be displayed on the website.
The Glen Ellyn Public Library invites all artists, artists’ families, friends, judges, and community members to attend the Teen Art Show on Sunday, February 10 from 2-3:30 pm. All artwork will be displayed in its original form.
We encourage artists to leave their artwork at the library for inclusion in the March Artist of the Month display. The library will display as many items as possible on and along the Gallery Wall for the month of March. Artwork that remains at the library after the art show on February 10 will be included in the Artist of the Month display at the library’s discretion. Artists may retrieve their works from the March Artist of the Month display beginning April 1, 2019. Unclaimed items will be discarded after May 1, 2019.
Judges will determine two contest winners from each of the four categories, for a total of eight contest winners.
Winners will be announced at the end of March via the Teen Instagram and Twitter accounts, as well as on the GEPL website.Contest winner decisions are final.
Printed images of the winning artworks will be displayed with the artist’s name and work title in the High School Room and on the GEPL website. Contest winners will receive a $25 gift card from Blick Art Materials. Prizes will be available until May 1, 2019.
Josh O’Shea, Young Adult Librarian