Thank you for your interest in volunteering at the library.
Opportunities to volunteer virtually
- Be a Middle School Marvel | Share information about what makes you uniquely you! Fill out a fun questionnaire, and you could be featured on the Middle School page!
- Write a Review | Share your favorite and least favorite books, movies, music, and video games.
- Submit an idea for a program | The library serves a population of more than 27,000 residents and provides a variety of educational, informational, and recreational programs to meet the diverse needs of the Glen Ellyn community. What program would you like to see at the library?
- Create kindness rocks | Create a kindness rock and put it somewhere for someone else to find. Sharing words of kindness and wisdom help alleviate stress and inspire others to follow your example. Take a few pictures as you create and email them to me.
- Send feedback | Did you recently participate in a library program ? What did you like? How can we improve?
- Send greeting cards | Design two greeting cards with brief, friendly messages inside to
brighten our homebound members’ days. You can drop them off at the drive-up window, the Library Services Desk, or in the Youth Department, and we’ll pass them on. Be creative!
- Create bookmarks | Make some fun bookmarks to share with our homebound members! You can drop them off at the drive-up window, the Library Services Desk, or in the Youth Department, and we’ll pass them on. (Two bookmarks=30 minutes)
- Write a guest article (minimum 250 words) | Write in detail about a topic, database, book, hobby, or recipe. Don’t forget pictures!
- Make homemade dog treats | Do you love baking, and dogs? Whip up some easy dog treats and donate them to 4 Paws 4 U 4 Ever . Take a few pictures during the baking process and a picture of your finished product and email them to me. Please contact the shelter directly (phone 630-293-8772) first to check about submissions and to coordinate drop-off.
- Make DIY cat toys | Get creative and make cat wand , cat toy pom pom , or some other toys for the adoptable cats and kittens at A.R.F. ! Please contact A.R.F. directly (phone 630-200-3828) first to check about submissions and then to coordinate drop-off. Take a few pictures during the crafting process and a picture of your finished products.
Suggestions for cheerful messages for greeting cards
- May your day be filled with all kinds of bright sunny things
- I’m just sending a note and a smile to you today. Have a great day!
- Sending cheerful thoughts to brighten your day
- Sending lots of hugs your way
- Have a beautiful day
- Wishing the happiest of days to a wonderful person!
- There is no one quite like you. Never forget how special you are!
- Hoping your day is as wonderful as you are! Hang in there!
- Hoping today that you find some little comforts and joys in the ordinary things around you.
- Hoping today brings you happiness and all things good!
- Sending major good vibes your way.
In addition to the great volunteer opportunities at the library, there are many interesting local venues that welcome teenage volunteers. Here are a few places you might look:
- Animal Rescue Foundation
- Bridge Communities
- Cosley Zoo
- Feed My Starving Children
- Glen Ellyn Children’s Resource Center
- Glen Ellyn Food Pantry
- Habitat for Humanity
- Northern Illinois Food Bank
- Northwestern Medicine
For more volunteer opportunities, visit the Giving DuPage Volunteer Opportunity Portal .