When I ask my friends what they are reading lately, sometimes they feel bad when they answer
- “Oh I’m not reading anything at the moment, I’m taking a break.”
- “I want to read, but I don’t have the energy.”
- “I don’t know what to read, my bedside table has at least three books, but I’m indecisive!”
These answers are a-ok, and I don’t want anyone feel bad if they’re on a reading break. I think breaks are helpful. Those books aren’t going anywhere. They’re ready to be read when you’re ready and not before. If your reading break is days, weeks, months, or even years that is fine. It really is!
Some helpful tips to ease back into reading after a break.
- Read a short story or a poem.
- Focus on one chapter a day. When you start reading more than one chapter a day, then you’re in that groove.
- Remember reading is meant to be fun. If it’s a chore or an obligation, take pause again and then resume when it’s enjoyable.
Thanks for reading! Stay safe and awesome, until next time.